Sunday, November 20, 2005

Home is where the broadband is...

Sorry for the dearth of posts of late. Since I moved to Oakland I've been "sharing" wi-fi with a neighbor. Unfortunately, that neighnbor up and moved. The network went dark and 6:33 am Friday November 11th. A moment of silence please.

*sniff*

I tried to get Comcast when I first moved into my loft, but to no avail. Several phone calls over several weeks and one visit from a wholly pleasant young man yielded no signal. This past Wednesday morning I spent 42 minutes failing to navigate Verizon phone trees and talking to operators who provide local phone service in New York--that got me nowhere but late to work. For my next trick I signed up for a local phone line from SBC with some small hope that I can parlay that into a 100 mbps stream with a week or two. I'm not convinced.

In the mean time I swallow wi-fi and espresso at Gaylord's, Jahva House (you gotta click the link at the bottom of the page) and Nomad. While it's nice to be out and about among the respectively queer, black, and green I'd rather be surfing the light fantastic at home where I can be all three in peace and foment my little revolution in my pyjamas.

2 comments:

dj love said...

ohmygosh nifa i have been missing you.

are you drinking coffee with destiny's child? they were on that webpage you sent us to. you tell beyonce that i think i am ready for that jelly.

i am sorry about the tech issues. our internet does not work at home either. not sure why. so i write presently from the brooklyn law school library while jes works on her final memo for legal writing.

love live the pj revolution!

Tyrus said...

I wondered what was up! It's good(?) to learn that establishing home internet connections are aggravating on both sides of the Atlantic.